Is Going Green a Sham?

Now, I wore this white fun fur to a "Green Party" to be honest, I had no idea that this party was green. But, I do believe in saving the planet and doing what is healthy for all of us (earthlings). I did not wear the fur because I even recognize PETA. I just love fur fun or real. I believe in looking good and keeping warm and fur works. I was not making a political statement in anyway, just having fun. I would like to here your thoughts on this.

Marque,
Dreams Do Come True!!!


Photo by Suz
Is going green a sham? Saving the environment is quite the noble sentiment, but with all the faddish vegan diets, eco-friendly couture and designer hemp grocery bags, I have to wonder if “green” is nothing more than our decade’s version of heroin chic.

This was the question I hoped to answer during Thursday’s organic-themed cocktail reception for New York City’s Television Industry.

Held at Greenhouse, New York’s first eco-friendly nightclub, the party was packed with a perplexing breed of urban tree-huggers. Clad in Stella McCartney and Marc Jacobs, the earthy guests swayed to Simian Mobile Disco and MGMT while indulging in the open bar’s organic beer. Master of ceremonies were the magnificent ‘Way over Budget Productions’ courtesy of Poull Brien.

Observing from our designated VIP location, $13 organic vodka soda in hand (I would have preferred to poison myself with a standard toxic martini but one must make difficult sacrifices when drinking to save Mother Earth), I spotted my first member of the Green Elite: the ruggedly handsome Adrian Grenier. Judging by his shaggy hair and bohemian ensemble, I assumed that the Entourage star, like all good celebrities, would be a steadfast advocate of the green initiative.

“Adrian, would you consider yourself to be very green?”

“Um, not very.”

“Do you think the green trend is a total sham?”

Pause

“No…Do you?”

“Yes. Yes I do.”

Surprised by my shameless skepticism, Grenier went on to assert his unwavering endorsement of all things green.

“I support people who are making an effort…But, you know, there are haters out there. And it’s no good to be a hater.”

Subtle yet poignant, I couldn’t help but think that Mr. Grenier’s closing comment suggested that I was, in fact, a hater; a social-eco-terrorist who was polluting the pure atmosphere of this environmentally friendly celebration with my noxious negativity.

Nevertheless, I was inspired by the star’s seemingly strong organic convictions and set out to find some proof that the green initiative is more than a mass marketing scheme. I found it in a character named Rowell. With a razor-sharp Mohawk and a look that mixed the raw punk of Sid Vicious with the suave style of Justin Timberlake, he dispelled my belief that the only thing green about Greenhouse was its moss-covered walls. Come to find out, the innovative downtown hotspot is constructed of recycled materials, exclusively serves organic alcohol and, of course, recycles each empty beer and liquor bottle. Maybe there’s something to be said for the green fad after all.

But Greenhouse wasn’t the only pro-active force of the event. Marque Marque, a five-time Emmy Award winning hairstylist and larger-than-life eco-eccentric, makes PETA proud and preserves the animal kingdom with his plush faux fur (or as he calls it, “fun fur”) coat.

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. I work at Wal Mart and the going green virus is brainwashing people left and right. I asked innocently in a meeting how much money does Wal Mart make or even just save by recycling a year. Turns out, none. We actually have to PAY to have our stuff recycled. Now, the logic of recycling is a very noble one. I have nothing against it in the slightest. But when these recycling companies exploit companies like Wal Mart for the expensive status tag of "GREEN" or alternatively, "DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT" tag. It's black mail, so they charge us to haul away our cardboard, plastic, etc. in which they in turn make a HUGE profit. And I'm not against any company making money, but Wal Mart should benefit monetarily from it too, because the recycling companies are. The response is, "Well, saving the planet should be enough!!" Okay.... I'm sure that declaration is going to go over WELL! with companies like Waste Management. Besides, if you ARE recycling..YOU ARE HELPING THE PLANET ANYWAY! Just to put it in perspective. The stuff that we pay-to-give the recycling companies, they make a profit on. It is double gouging. That is like if I buy a single, plastic, Dixie Cup. I never need to throw it away. I'm using it over and over. Now, I am saving an immense amount of money for myself because I am not needing to use anymore Dixie cups. AND I am helping the planet by not needing to use multiple cups and throwing them away. I'm recycling AND I am saving money. Guess who is not making any money off of me! You guessed it, the recycling companies. So to take the reality of composure here with the way the recycling companies are gouging folks like Wal Mart in this green game. Each time I empty my Dixie Cup and would need to get a new one, but don't because I can reuse it. The recycling companies charge me for not supplying material to them to make money off of. I thought you might like that. Now the problem is, the recycling companies are part of the private sector. Regulating them would be difficult like that...unless they were government agencies but they aren't.

    ReplyDelete